Passap and Wincrea meet Mac OS adventures and then some

I recently finally set up my Passap, with the intent of creating some DBJ fabrics. As I have often described in previous posts, I now use GIMP for my image creating and editing. For my downloads to E6000 in the past I have used the Croucher cable with switch box and Wincrea running on an ancient Dell laptop with Windows XP installed. Files created on my Mac could be shared directly with the Dell via a network set up, or moved to and from it with a flash drive.

When I began to experiment after downloading the latest version of GIMP on my Mac I found .bmps  created using it elicited a wincrea floating point zero error message. If the images were then in turn opened in either MS Paint or GIMP 2.0 in the Dell and saved again, the error message and problem  in their being read by Wincrea in correct stitch and row counts went went away.

I now own a new Mac, and thanks to my son (who happens to live on the opposite coast) and his extensive IT help,  it has VMware Fusion  installed.  Consequently, I am now able to run Windows XP and associated programs on my Mac. My son also experimented with the problem .bmp files, and found the solution for eliminating the problem with the files created in the Mac OS to be in a simple check in a box in GIMP’s export options.

It follows the next attempt would be to try to download to the E6000 directly from the Mac.

A USB to serial cable is required for the connection to my download cable. The previously used Keyspan serial adapter was no longer usable with the iMac. It got replaced with a Sabrent. Windows drivers for the product may be downloaded from sabrent.com and are easily installed. With the wincrea setting to COM 3 I was then in turn able to download to my E6.

The error message and dialogue boxes in gimp

the proper setting the new adapteravailable com setting selections E6000

So I thought I was up and running, then I ran into a 213 error in the console when the switch box was in the download position. In an effort to isolate the problem I found a run away wire in the interior of the cable connection to the connection to the serial adapter.

I have always found Anne and Richard Croucher courteous and quick to respond to any email questions on their product. Richard was kind enough to review the photos below, and to suggest that soldering the green wire to the position indicated by the arrow might solve my cable problem. He also provided me with the accompanying  diagram. The cable is now awaiting for the skill, soldering supplies, and time of a friend.  “Just in case” a new switch and cable combination are now on order from the Crouchers. The adventure shall continue.

10/7/17: I have a new Croucher cable and switch box. I have not been able to successfully download again using VMware on the Mac, but I am successfully knitting again using the old Dell laptop for Wincrea downloads to the Passap . More experimentation to follow.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *